Sunday, July 27, 2008

4th of July



Our 4th of July festivities included hiking to and touring Timpanogas cave. Peter and I hiked it with his parents. Peter's parents are in their 60's, but they are in much better shape than me. The hike is about 1.5 miles on a fairly steep incline to the cave and I was so worried that they were going to beat me to the top. With my pride, I just couldn't let that happen. I worked my tail off to make it up that hill. It was a good thing that Aleen, my mother-in-law, had already been on a 25 mile bike ride and Paul had already run 3 miles in 23 minutes that morning--otherwise, I doubt I would have beaten them. This is a picture of us at the top before entering the cave.





After being bathed in sweat from the hike, we nearly froze in the cave that maintains a year-round temperature of about 43 degrees. You can see that Paul had to keep warm by putting his arms inside his shirt:)




This is my cute husband inside the cave. My pictures don't do the cave justice, but the caves were gorgeous. I couldn't believe that I had gone 8 years living in Utah County without ever seeing them. They are amazing and I would recommend that everyone take the opportunity to see them. They have formations that can only be found in 1 or 2 other places in the world.




Following the hike, we met up with the rest of the Ure clan to have a little 4th of July BBQ. Rachel and her family were camping at a site off of the Alpine loop. We had a blast together. Hamburgers always taste a little better in the wilderness.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Caves look fun...I've lived here 4 years and haven't done it either. I'll need to convince Eric to do it by the end of the summer!